Friday, January 8, 2016

Emotional Pain Caused by a Place

Emotion Pain Caused by a Place

The memories were swept under the rug, the laughter of my family was muffled by the laughter of a new one, and the pictures of us were painted over in a renovation. The crooked paint peeling garage door was replaced by a fancy high tech one. The raggedy simple metal fence surrounded the backyard, which was cluttered with random rusted things he found throughout his life, replaced with a beautiful oak fence. The ripped mesh screen door replaced with a glass one accented with a gold painted door knob and trim. The stained carpet was replaced with shiny hard wood floors. The scratched and dented dining table we always ate at during the holidays was replaced with a new one. It was their house now. The house was barely recognizable anymore. The people in it were people I had ever seen before. The house was brought into a completely different style. I can still see through all of their renovating. I still see the house my grandma grew up in. I still see the place the whole family went to for Christmas. I still see the laughter throughout the halls. I still see his house. I still see him.

3 comments:

  1. all the details created really strong imagery and it allowed me to really picture the situation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job fam. I like how you told what was there by saying what had changed. Who is the "he" @ the end??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job fam. I like how you told what was there by saying what had changed. Who is the "he" @ the end??

    ReplyDelete